WHAS-Radio (Louisville, Ky.)

= Audio Available Online
Jack Fox interviews Hugh Barr, the former program director of the WHAS. Jack Fox is also joined by Jerry David Melloy and Wayne Perkey. Barr discusses his role in the radio station, focusing on his success in the coordination of coverage of the 1974 tornado, and the development of WHAS radio department, which they eventually dubbed “the cuddly giant”. He also focuses on how he helped return the WHAS to its “golden age”. They also reflect on the camaraderie that developed among the staff members at the station.
Recounts memories of working at WHAS-Radio in Louisville, Ky. from 1969-1980. Mr. Bastin talks about his early days as a news writer, Paul Clark, and the Bingham standards of quality. Bastin became the News Director of WHAS Radio in 1972. Recalls coverage of Aoril 3, 1974 tornado, school desegregation, and snow storms. Discusses the transition of FM-WHAS from an all news format to the country format of WAMZ.
Recounts memories of working at WHAS-Radio in Louisville, Ky. from 1964-1997. Baysinger recalls his first day of work, the Bingham family, and describes the design of studios and the duties of the job.
Recounts memories of working at WHAS-Radio in Louisville, Ky. from 1959-1984 and 2000-2012. Baysinger talks of his experinces with WHAS under the Bingham's ownership and then later of Clear Channel. Describes meeting Louis Coleman Jr. and getting his assistance in providing equal opportunity employment for the station.
Recounts memories of working at WHAS-Radio in Louisville, Ky. from 1976-1980. Burbank describes his experiences being an rock & roll DJ, how and why he left, as well as the people he worked with and characters used on his program "Snow Sharks."
Elsie Deutsch spends much of this interview talking about the impact of WHAS on the farming community in and around Kentucky. Elsie is joined by her son and daughter-in-law in this interview. Elsie starts the interview by discussing where she grew up, fern creek, and the impact her family had on the community. To start the discussion about radio, Elsie is asked who she listened to while working on the farm. She names some popular ‘disk jockeys’ like; Jim Walton, Randy Atcher, and Tom Brooks. Sandy, Elsie’s daughter-in-law, explains how she knew Eadie Bingham, Berry Bingham’s second wife. Finally, the family discusses the WHAS coverage of the 1974 tornado, and how it helped the community.
Joe Donovan starts the interview by talking about his first job in radio, at KLOV in Loveland, Colorado. Donovan later left KLOV and started working at KOA in 1968. Donovan then discusses how he came to be hired at WHAS by Hugh Barr in 1977. Donovan discusses his relationship with his coworkers, like Jack Fox and Larry Baysinger, and his relationship with the Bingham family. Throughout the interview; Donovan discusses his massive record collection, and his shows, Rock and Roll Revival and Cruising.
Interview with blind radio host Joe Elliot regarding his life long work in radio and history with WHAS Radio in Louisville, Kentucky
Skip Essick starts by discussing his first job in radio in Lima, Ohio, during the late 1960’s. Essick then discusses how he got the job of program director at the WHAS in 1989 after the position was left open by Denny Nugents departure from WHAS. Essick talks about the friends he made at the WHAS during his six year stay, like Mark Thomas, Charlie Strickand, and Bob Sheer. Essick finishes the interview by recounting his various passions at WHAS, from the engineering department to the sports department.
Neta Evans starts the the interview by explaining how she first got involved with the Courier-Journal in 1963 by working as a secretary to Bingham Jr. Evans explains that after the Courier-Journal was sold in 1963, she went to work as a personal assistant to Bingham Jr. Throughout the interview, Evans talks about her contact with the WHAS staff, specifically Milton Metz and Brench Boden. Evans spend the remainder of the interview discussing the aftermath of the death of Worth Bingham, and the large amount of contact she had with the WHAS afterwards, until its sale.